I know it’s been a while, but I was trying to figure out a better format for the weekly info blast. Couldn’t figure it out, maybe next week.
- I traveled to Chicago for the ASCO Oncology conference. Trip report here.
- Also Portland trip report here.
- Markets went sideways this week (DOW 21,384 (+7% since Jan 2017); S&P 2,433 (+8% since Jan 2017); NASDAQ 6,151 (+13% since Jan 2017) with technology stocks continuing their decline. Oil trended lower to $45/ barrel (2013 $27/ barrel, 2008 $145/ barrel), and Gold declined a bit to $1253/ounce.
- The Fed finally raised interest rates on Wednesday +0.25% to 1.25%. What does this mean? Not much, besides boosting Finance/ Bank stocks as they make more money with higher rates. Is there a change to mortgage rates? The current inflation rate is 2.5% (Fed target is 2.0%). I hope you get at least a 3% raise every year to beat inflation. There’s a chance the Fed will raise rates again this year.
- Amazon buys Whole Foods Market for $13.7 Billion. Ugh!
- Oh boy, there have been some volatile swings since I started following the cryptocurrency market.
- I wrote a longer article about Cryptocurrencies here if you’re interested.
- Good Read: State of the Blockchain report from CoinDesk
- Shooting at the UPS distribution center in Potrero Hill, San Francisco
- Shooting at the congressional baseball practice in Virginia
- Tsukiji Market may eventually move?
- Boxing match, August 26 Floyd “Money” Mayweather (Boxer) vs Connor “The Notorious” McGregor (MMA)
- Warriors win the NBA Finals. Who cares (Reference to the movie, A Bronx Tale)??
- A guy unboxes Jordans 1-18. Note, this week Nike announced 1,400 layoffs!
- 27 Styles of Rapping
- I love Fail Army
- Joe Rogan Podcast: Megan Phelps-Roper was a former member of the Westboro Baptist Church, well known for their bizarre protests. I found it fascinating to hear her stories about the church and how Twitter was a major influence in her mindset change. She is now a pseudo atheist and gives talks.
- Unchained: Host Laura Shin speaks to Digital Coin Group’s Meltem Demirors. Great perspectives on the cryptocurrency “bubble” and some future application of the blockchain.